Sat, Jun 17|
El Moro Canyon Trail &Crystal Cove Beach
Black Men Hike Juneteenth & Father's Day Family Hike & Beach Cookout
Join us as we celebrate Juneteenth with a Family Hike with beautiful ocean views and a cookout right on the beach
Time & Location
Jun 17, 2023, 8:30 AM – 4:00 PM PDT
El Moro Canyon Trail &Crystal Cove Beach, GPS Coordinates (33.56123394156481, -117.82178448298313)
About the event
We are extremely excited for you to join us Saturday, June 17th at 8:30 AM for our Family Day Hike and Beach Cookout. In preparation for our hike, we’ve listed a few reminders/tips to help maximize your hiking experience and safety:
- 8:30 am - 9:00 AM - Introductions
- 9:00 am - 11:00 AM - Hiking & Mindfullness Session
- 11:00 am - 11:30 AM - Reflection
- 11:30 AM - 4:00 PM - Beach Cookout
1. Hike Difficulty Level – MODERATE – Length of total hike is approx. 4.4 miles. Hike will contain inclines, switchbacks, rocky terrain and slight elevation changes, but manageable for anyone who is moderately active. Plan on a 3 hour outing, including rest and food breaks.
2. Please wear hiking boots or shoes with grip and ankle support – This will safely prepare you for the various terrain we will traverse throughout the hike. The terrain of this hike will be very rocky and rugged at times.
3. Dress In Layers – The weather forecast for the day of the hike is a high of around 75 degrees Fahrenheit. During our hike temperatures will be around 70 degrees. Please wear clothing that will allow your body stay warm, breathe and not overheat. Sunscreen and Hats are recommended.
4. Bring plenty of water and light snacks for yourself – It’s easy to dehydrate during a hike, especially when the temperature is hot. Bringing a sufficient supply of water (At least 2-3 liters) will help you to avoid fatigue, dizziness, and other symptoms of dehydration. While snacks will help to supply your body with much-needed nutrients to keep you energized throughout the hike.
5. Please eat a sufficient breakfast at least 1 hour before the hike – It’s always a great idea to fuel your body prior to exercising, to avoid fatigue and even fainting. Oatmeal, eggs, and a few pieces of fruit is an excellent example of a sufficient pre-hike breakfast option.
6. Plan for a 3 hour outing – Our hike will be about 3 hours long, including one planned 15-minute break. Although we have one planned break, we adjust our hikes to meet the needs of our participants. We encourage everyone to feel free to take a break or adjust your pace as needed. Our hikes are meant to be an enjoyable experience, and we want to ensure everybody is participating within their comfort zone. Please let us know if you have any health concerns that might put you at risk during our hike. Safety is always a priority.
7. Download the map – Please download the directions to the trailhead prior to leaving your home to avoid any confusion. To find the precise location PLEASE USE GOOGLE MAPS OR WAZE ONLY, enter the following gps coordinates to get to destination: 33.56123394156481, -117.82178448298313
PLEASE DO NOT USE THE TRAIL NAME ON FLYER FOR DIRECTIONS TO HIKE. There is a great chance that using the trail name instead of GPS coordinates to find directions will take you to the wrong location.
8. Parking help – Parking is Limited within parking lot. Please try to arrive early to find parking. Please note Parking is $15 for a Day Use Pass (In/Out Privileges). Upon purchasing Day Use Pass, ask parking attendant to direct you to beach parking. If possible, we advise carpooling.
10. Bonus: This hike ends steps from the beach. Please feel free to bring a folding chair or two and some snacks to chill out on the beach after our hike before you head back home.
We’ll also have an ambassador stationed near the entrance of the park to assist with directing folks to the right location.
If you have any questions or concerns, please email us at email@example.com or contact Jelani at
(424) 216-6671. We look forward to seeing you this Saturday!
Black Men Hike LA